Jan 20, 2010

Props to my new home state

I've always been told a good writer is a good reader. That is a fact. So, I spend a lot of time reading. Reading for my job, reading for my entertainment, reading to pass the time and reading for research. If I were to re-hash my life pie chart, I would in all actuality give at least 60 percent of my time to reading.

When I was a little kid, I trained my stomach to be OK with reading on the hour-long rickety bus ride to school. Sometimes I read during recess (You should see pictures of me when I was little... you would understand). I can remember riding in the back of my dad's pickup during the summer months, reading while my older brother and sister fixed fence. They loved that.

You're getting the picture, right? My point is -- I spend a lot of time reading very interesting things that I think you should read, too. From time to time, I will take a break from writing here and let you make your own judgments on some of my favorite reading subjects, namely topics surrounding the beef industry.

One of my favorite things to read each day is the BeefDaily blog. Amanda Nolz is the editor, and she does an outstanding job of picking up three-four interesting beef industry news tidbits to share with her followers.
The headliner for her blog today was "Farm Bureau Discusses Ohio’s Stand Against HSUS." The people of the state of Ohio did a great thing when they passed The Ohio Livestock Care Standards Board last November. What they did and how they did it makes me proud to now call Ohio my home state (or at least the stateI now reside).

Folks took a stand against the Humane Society of the United States. Ohioans made it clear the HSUS was NOT who they thought deserved to make decisions and influence opinions on livestock husbandry. Right on, Buckeyes!

Read Amanda's blog to learn more: http://blog.beefmagazine.com/beef_daily/2010/01/20/farm-bureau-discusses-ohios-stand-against-hsus/. I also highly recommend subscribing to receive BeefDaily's e-mail updates. It is truly a great resource!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog about mini-chocolate cakes today enticed me to stop by. Then, I was scrolling through your old posts and was surprised to see my pic! LOL! Love your blog, Laura! - Amanda

    ReplyDelete